Henry VI, Part 1
4.4
SYNOPSIS
This scene begins with Somerset lamenting York and Talbot’s hastened planning, and blaming them for his inability to back them up. He positions himself in direction opposition to York:
Somerset
York set him on to fight and die in shame
Again, Lucy shows up and urges Somerset this time to “Let not your private discord keep away/The levied succors that should lend him aid...” Lucy and Somerset then discuss whom is really at fault, whom is lying, etc. Somerset announces he will send some guys out, but Lucy tells him its too late.
IMPRESSIONS
Consecutive short scenes make for short blog posts which can be a godsend if you find yourself several posts behind. Ahem, just moving the narrative along...don’t know why it’s split again, but that’s more of a technicality than anything. Who cares in the end? Lucy again shows up and ties the two scenes together, but he seems to reserve more blame for Somerset here:
Somerset
If he be dead, brave Talbot, then adieu!
Lucy
His fame lives in the world, his shame in you.
I am eager for this play to be over, and I’m having some thoughts about the scope of each post, that perhaps they should be more than one scene so I can get through the play before it becomes tedious, though I’m not experiencing tedium at the moment. These plays are to be my supplemental reading and therefore am enjoy respite from the contemporary reading I’m doing.
No comments:
Post a Comment